NetEase Inc. has announced that it will be presented in 2022 Game Developers Conference (GDC), presenting a record 26 unsponsored speeches. NetEase speakers will share the company’s successes from its blockbuster titles, highlighting the growing appeal of Eastern fantasy and revealing how NetEase Games has leveraged technology to make games more engaging, exciting and inclusive.
GDC is one of the most influential industry conferences in the world for video game developers, and GDC 2022 will be held in person and virtually at San Francisco‘s Moscone Convention Center from March 21-25, 2022.
The annual summit has been held for over 35 years and attracts some of the biggest names in the industry to discuss evolving technology and gaming trends. A total of 26 proposals submitted by over 30 NetEase developers were shortlisted for 11 Core Concept Talks and 15 Summit Talks throughout the GDC Summit.
Speakers will share their expertise on game development, art design and more
Presentations will be led by some of NetEase Games’ top designers, engineers, and programmers. Speakers will share their expertise on game development, operation, art design, and improving user experience, among others.
Exciting topics to be covered will include how to use AI, blockchain and other advanced technologies to maximize the value of the illustration system, how to maximize game operations with minimal costs as well as the following lectures on topics to industry-wide interest, including:
- Oriental Narrative: How to Understand “SPEAMERS (WUXIA)” in Chinese Games: Zhipeng Hu, Vice President of NetEase, and Yongcheng Liu, a veteran user experience expert, will discuss the history of the Wuxia (martial arts) genre in video games, the main elements of the genre, how to reevaluate and reimagine ancient game settings, and how the art and style of Wuxia resonates with Chinese gamers.
- Minority Care: Make Color No Longer a Cognitive Disability: NetEase encourages its employees to develop games and features that make gaming more accessible and inclusive, especially for people with physical or other challenges. NetEase gaming leaders behind the success of Naraka: Bladepoint will share how the game’s accessibility design helps gamers with color vision deficiencies fully enjoy the game.
- “Naraka: Bladepoint” – From Prototype to Release: Hand-to-Hand Combat Games and Battle Royale: Known for the freedom of combat available to the player as the battle progresses, Naraka: Bladepoint is a 60 player battle royale game where players can use skills, grappling hooks, parkour, melee weapons and long range weapons to win the battle. The UX team behind this game is ready to share their knowledge on how to create a closed-loop experience while introducing lots of new elements.
- Early Game Assessment: Lessons Learned and Best Practices: How can developers know if a game is a “good idea”? This is a difficult task for most game developers, especially in the beginning. Drawing on their extensive experience in game review, a NetEase speaker will explain the key factors used in their review process and how they define the stages of early game development.
- Reinforcement learning for efficient car and track design in racing games: This presentation presents an AI-based approach to designing tracks in racing games, allowing developers to perform in-depth analysis of the optimal racing track for all vehicles and reduce development time during track testing.
- AI Animator: a real-time motion realization system: NetEase Games believes it’s time to move beyond the need for a large-scale pre-built motion library and start using AI to generate high-quality game animation with fewer needs in memory. This presentation will teach participants how to use a new and exciting method of generating game animation.
- An easy-to-use cutscene preview tool with few resources: Creating engaging cutscenes can often require a significant amount of tweaking so that artists can produce work that matches the creator’s vision. This presentation will focus on an easy-to-use cutscene preview tool that uses five plugins with the ability to generate speech and animation with a single click. Developers will be able to quickly create prototype versions of cutscenes using this tool, reducing production time.
These and other NetEase Games conferences are available to Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2022 attendees with All Access, Core Games, or Summit Passes.